I have struggled to workout for years and it was only in 2017 that something clicked. In my attempt to be overambitious, I signed up for multiple classes hoping one of them will motivate me enough to get consistent. I soon realised that I just get bored easily and mixing up my workouts got me excited enough to be regular.
The reason a lot of struggle with exercise is because we haven't figured out a fitness routine that works for us. It's not difficult to design one but is critical to the success of your fitness goals. I have listed a few pointers to keep in mind while creating one which will help you be more consistent this year:
- Consider your fitness goals- Do you want to lose weight, build muscles or run a marathon? Each one will require a different plan.
- Assess your fitness levels- Aiming to run 5 km if you have never run before is being unrealistic. Set smaller goals and progress slowly.
- Build activity into your daily routine- Finding time to exercise can be difficult especially if you are starting out. Schedule it in and you would an important meeting and then commit to it.
- Be creative- Find different ways to keep your workouts fun. Go for a hike, swim or take a dance class along with going to the gym and doing yoga. The idea is to be engaged in different activities so you don't get bored.
- Monitor your progress weekly- This will help you assess what's working and what's not. You can tweak it accordingly to make the fitness plan work for you.