Happy Holi! We created a delicious shortbread cookies using thandai powder and couldn't be happier with the results. These are delicious on their own but even better dipped in dark chocolate. Makes for a wonderful gift to bring home to your loved ones.
Chocolate thandai shortbread cookies
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup pistachio
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 15 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cardamompowder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5-6 cloves
- 10 dried roses
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup thandai powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 4 tbsp dried rose petals.
- In a mixer, add all ingredients together and mix until finely ground.
- In a small bowl, whisk both flours, thandai powder and salt.
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together for 5 minutes. On low speed, add in the dry mixture and blend, until just combined.
- Remove batter on a lightly floured surface and form into 2 balls. Wrap each ball into cling wrap and form a flat disk. Refrigerate for few hours.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Get baking sheets ready with parchment paper. Gently flour a working surface, remove one disk and roll out the dough with a rolling pin, to even thickness. Use a cookie cutter and start cutting out.
- Place the cookies onto the parchment paper and bake until golden brown till about 15 minutes. Remove the trays once the cookies are done, and cool them on a cooling rack after about 5-7 minutes.
- In a glass bowl, microwave chocolate chips for 30-40 seconds. Stir and repeat the process about 4-5 times until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Dip about 1/3 of the cookie into the chocolate mixture. Let the excess drip off, by shaking the cookie to remove any excess chocolate. Sprinkle chopped pistachio + rose petal mixture on the chocolate dipped side. Dust off excess. Let it set on the parchment paper on a baking sheet.