I am a big fan of tahini (sesame seed paste) for its deep, nutty flavour and love to use it as a base for cookies and biscotti. We have been real busy with Diwali orders in the kitchen and so I decided to whip up a batch of energy bars for the entire team to help them get through the long hours.
I love using dates as a sweetener and combined that with pea protein (so much better than whey because it doesn't have a chalky flavour + its vegan!) cocoa powder, tahini, almonds, sea salt and a drizzle of coconut oil. Whir it up in the food processor and gently press it into a lined baking pan. Pop it in the fridge for about two hours, slice and serve.
These turned out great and happy to report that everyone requested a second batch immediately.
TAHINI PROTEIN BARS
- 1 cup of dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup of hot water
- 1/4 cup of tahini
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- 1/4 cup pea protein
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- In a stand mixer, grind the dates with the hot water until a paste is formed.
- Transfer the mixture to a small pot and heat slowly while adding the tahini.
- In a food processor , mix together all the other ingredients, and pour the dates mixture on top.
- Mix everything uniformly and transfer to a parchment lined baking pan.
- Press the mixture down and refrigerate for 30 minutes before cutting it into bars.
- Keep the bars in the refrigerator.